Saturday, June 25, 2011

After Blatant Eavesdropping.

“True wisdom is being able to entertain an idea without accepting it.” -Aristotle

I do love a good theological discussion (not argument, mind you.) I don’t even need to be a part of it; I sometimes merely love to listen to what people have to say about things that really matter/issues of the human spirit/purpose/things below the surface. It is so easy to get caught up in polite conversation. Deeper questions don’t get brought up nearly as often as one would think, considering their importance/implications. It’s too politically incorrect. Bringing up deeper issues could easily turn to argument, and no one wants to offend anyone, or make a situation awkward; it’s much easier (safer) to talk about the weather and the newest box office hit.

Today I blatantly eavesdropped on a theological discussion. These two guys, both Christians who just met each other (and who I also had recently met) started talking about all sorts of things. I didn’t catch all of the conversation, but I was so impressed with them. Both held different views on God’s will, predestination, Calvinism, etc., yet they were still able to discuss what they thought/believed, and did so without attacking each other; merely presented different view points.

One part of the conversation I found particularly interesting was about humans and our continuous search for satisfaction/fulfillment/lasting happiness. Many think that if they had more money, more possessions, or a significant other, then they would find that satisfaction/fulfillment/happiness. Unfortunately, those things ultimately don’t satisfy us. Maybe for a short time, but we are always left wanting more.
Instead of spouting off my theories of why I think this is (or why these guys thought so) I pose some questions to you, oh reader of my little blog:

What does it take for a human to be satisfied/fulfilled/happy? Is there anything, or are we doomed to always keep searching without finding it? Is it part of our nature? Designed by God? What do YOU think?

Leave a comment. I’d love to read it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment